UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:58:55 -0400
About mid day today (April 2) Ed Hack called me -- my thanks to Ed --
to report Northern Shovelers in a cove on the Vermont side of the
Connecticut River south of Pompy. On arriving at the cove in the early
afternoon, I was initially distracted by an immature Bald Eagle which
swooped down and grabbed a fish from the water. I was then able to see
the 2 male and 1 female shovelers. Other birds found at that cove
included 3 Canada Geese, a Mallard, 7 Common Mergansers, a phoebe, and
a Song Sparrow. The water level in this section of the river was
relatively low today, thus exposing a number of mud flats which are
often submerged.

Today's shovelers are the first known 2010 record for this species in
Norwich.

Among other birds in Norwich today was a calling Evening Grosbeak,
which flew over this morning near the upper end of Elm Street. Evening
Grosbeaks have been scarce in Norwich so far during 2010.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT