UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:27:35 -0400
Thanks to a tip from Ed Hack, at 5:00 pm this afternoon I checked out
the Connecticut River backwater just across from the entrance to the
gravel pits along Rt. 5, about 1/2 mile south of Pompy Flats.  This can
be a good spot and is easily viewed by parking on the wide gravel
shoulder just south of the entrance to gravel pit, then either walking
north along the RR tracks, or cutting across them and into the field,
from which you can get a good vantage looking north.

The N. Shovelers were a real treat -- 2 males and a female.  Pompy Flats
themselves were barren, but I drove up Hogback Road and checked out the
extensive fields around the horse barns, where I had great views of a
male Northern Harrier quartering.  Probbaly a transient, but it would be
worth keeping an eye on these grasslands.  I've always thought they look
good for meadowlarks, though I've never had one there.

Chris

Location:     Ompomanoosuc River  - just south
Observation date:     4/2/10
Number of species:     12

Canada Goose     3
Wood Duck     2