BAHASA Archives

May 2010

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jody Diamond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 15:34:25 -0400
Some academic departments have the label Malay/Indonesian to
show that both languages are studied, bukan? The times I have
had Malaysian students in my classes, we could communicate more
or less, but certain key words were consistently different.

Once Malaysian "became" Indonesian, did certain changes take
place, like loan roots from Javanese or English, e.g.
"memrationalizasikan" in a newspaper. (I once had a friend, a
literature professor in Solo, say "Saya bisa menyupport kamu.
What does that mean? It's from your own language [insert
whatever the Indonesian equivalent of "duh" is here].

jody diamond