UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:13:46 -0400
Ok... if you have not been to southern AZ put it on your list.  Special
place. Great weather. Great birds. Great scenery.

Read on if your want..feels like a holiday "boast" letter.  10 days, SE AZ.
There is a fine birding book of the area, 2011 updated.

Flew to Phoenix, Portal on east, Bisbee, Madera  Canyon, last was Patagonia.
144 species on a family trip.  I had 9 lifers, Will ~ 25.

This will be a list of highlights (minus Pine siskin etc).in chronological
order.

First's:  Harris' Hawk, Bendire's Thrasher, Ross's Geese, Lucy's Wa, Gray
Vireo, Elegant Trogan, Bl-thr- Gray Wa, Cassin's Kingb, Zone-t Ha.

Others:

Gt-t Grackle,

Phainapepela,  Pyroloxxia

Gambel's Quail

Cactus Wr, Canyon Wren

Eared Grebe

Go Eagles

Swainsons Ha, No Harrier, Common Black ha, Gray Ha, Am Kestrel, Cooper's,
Sharpie (like the feeders), Merlin, Peregrine, Osprey, White-tailed Kites,
Roug-

Legged,

Bl Phoebe...Say's too

Road Runner

Sparrows:  Bl throated, Lincolns, Song, Rufous winged, White Crowned, Fox.
Brewer's, Vesper, Chipping, Savanah, Swamp, Lark, White-throated,

Grasshopper

Brewer's BB

Ducks:   many found on wastewater plants as there is water !    No
Shovelers, GWTE, Cinn Te, Am Widg, Ruddy Du, Mex Duck, Buffleh,
Ring-necked,Lesser

Scaup, Redhead,

White-w dove, Co Ground Dove,

Yellow-rumped Wa/ Audubon's,

Bl - neck Stilt, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sp, Gr Egret.

Vermillian Flyc, No-beadless Tyrannulet

Woodpeckers: AZ, Ladder-backed, Gila Woodp (Heela), Acorn

Mex Jay, Stellar's Ja

Bridled Titm

Hummers:  (not enough but special) "Paton's is famous": Broad-billed(many
!), Bl-throated, Magnificent, Blue-throated, Anna'a, Costa's,
Violet-crowned.

White-thr Swifts,  Purple Martin

Towhees:  Canyon, Spotted, Abert's, Green-tailed

Painted Redstart, Wilson's Wa, Orange-crowned

Loggerhead Shrikes

Yellow-eyed Junco

Crissal Thrasher

Bushtit
Hutton's Vireo

Townsend's Solitare

Hepatic Tanager, female

Bullock's, Scott's Orioles

Lazulia Bunting

Bl-cr Nightheron

Sparrows are lots of work, but lots of fun.  April would be better for
flycatchers, vireos, more hummers and some other rare birds.

Good butterflies.

So...(I type poorly, sorry)..if anyone ventures out there, I have a few
spots to share.

Now..back to UV birding !

BS

Bill Shepard