UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lorena Krenitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lorena Krenitsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 20:39:23 -0400
Yesterday and today Mark and I checked out potential dragonfly habitats
across the Upper Valley for the NH Dragonfly survey, and we encountered
a swarm of bird migrants. Of interest, Yellow Warblers, Chestnut-sided
Warblers, one Nashville Warbler, and Black Throated Green Warblers. Some
details below.

The bug highlight was a freshly emerged Red Admiral butterfly at
Claremont's Riverside Park, although we also encountered several
Mourning Cloaks, Cabbage Whites, a couple butterflies we think were some
sort of comma but flew past too quickly to ID. The first dragonfly of
the year, a Common Green Darner, was at Blow-me-down Pond in Cornish.

Wood Duck - Cornish
Common Merganser - Claremont
Turkey Vulture - Everywhere
Cooper's Hawk - Grantham
Broadwing Hawk - Everywhere
Bald Eagle, immature - Grantham
Spotted Sandpiper - Claremont
Belted Kingfisher - Various
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Various
Northern Flicker - Everywhere
Pileated Woodpecker - Plainfield
Eastern Phoebe - Everywhere
Eastern Kingbird - Newport
Blue-Headed Vireo - Newport
Barn Swallow - Plainfield
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - Various
Tree Swallow - Everyhere
Brown Creeper - Everywhere
Gray Catbird - Plainfield
Nashville Warbler - Blow-me-down Pond, Cornish
Yellow Warbler - Claremont, Riverside Park, and Ashley Ferry Boat Ramp
Chestnut-sided Warbler - Claremont, Riverside Park, and Ashley Ferry
Boat Ramp
Black-throated Green Warbler - Cornish, Plainfield
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Everywhere
Palm Warbler - Grantham
Pine Warbler - Newport
Black-and-White Warbler - Everywhere
Northern Cardinal - Cornish Flat
Chipping Sparrow - Everywhere
Song Sparrow - Everywhere
White-throated Sparrow - Various
Dark-eyed Junco - Everywhere
American Goldfinch - Everywhere
Purple Finch - Croydon

Unfortunately, deer and dog ticks are also out, as we encountered both.
Mosquitoes and blackflies aren't far behind.

-Lorena

Lorena Krenitsky