UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 08:02:52 -0400
Ok, so I had to go to Cape Cod for family 3 day holiday.

I have birded the same barrier beach (mid Cape, south side) w/ adjacent salt
marsh for a good many years. My solace from the maddening hoards.

Weather was a bit grim for some of our time, but hay a bad day birding is a
good day.

Highlights:

15 Co Loons, most were juveniles, all on a pod. (not ipod)

4 adult Piping Plovers  (2 small cute ! chicks scooting around, with tiny
legs moving 100mph) nested here for 20+ years. monitored by the Audubon.

2 Am Oystercatchers (just gorgeous !)  saw 2 separate times

3 Black-bellied Plovers,  one close to breeding plumage

30 Least Terns..subsequent visits = 16.  May nest.would be a first for the
site.

8 Willets.rather vocal birds.

many Osprey

2 Laughing Gulls (lots of the others)

1 Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow.  They are rather elusive and hug the
marsh/beach line.

Various and sundry others.

BS

Bill Shepard