UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2017, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:15:26 -0500
Bird populations are at risk all around the world. As of 2015, BirdLife
International assessed that 13% of bird species are threatened with
extinction. eBird collects site-specific data on these birds—as well as the
other 9500 bird species in the world—and this is a great benefit to
birders, researchers, and conservationists around the world. We cannot
protect the species we care about without knowing where and when they
occur. However, these site-level data can also put certain species at
incredible risk. Fine-scale site information can be used by hunters and
trappers to target certain species. eBird has a responsibility to protect
the specific locations of these species so that the data are not used to
exploit these birds. Our new Sensitive Species initiative provides this
protection.

Read more on Vermont eBird at
http://ebird.org/content/vt/news/sensitive-species-in-vermont-ebird/

Thanks,
Kent

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x201

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]