UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2017, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Pam Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:06:16 -0500

All,

Many people don't realize it, but chickadees are partially migratory. Some of "our" birds leave in the winter, and "new" birds appear from farther north. The number of chickadees one sees in a given winter is thus likely a result of local conditions, distant conditions (in each case mainly food), and reproductive success in both areas. Some years you may even catch large flocks of migrating chickadees - usually in October.

By most accounts, chickadees are generally down on Christmas Bird Counts this winter, so observations like those posted to this list are probably not unusual. WHY we have fewer is another question entirely. Did fewer come south? Did more leave? Did they produced fewer young? We don't know, although data from banding stations like Dave's could potentially shed a little light on the story in any given year.

Pam Hunt
Concord, NH