UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2017, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ted Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Levin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2017 07:15:10 -0400
You can always bring you feeders in after dark. Over 42 years, I've had
periodic visits from bears, but almost all visits were late afternoon or
after the sun went down. Barking dogs are a very big deterrent to roaming
bears, particularly for a sow with cubs. If you keep horse and supplement
hay/grazing with grain & sweet feed close your barn doors at night, as
well.

There are great joys to warm-weather feeding, including rose-breasted
grosbeaks and indigo buntings, both of which bring begging chicks to the
feeders, and hummingbirds, of course; you just have to *monitor* your
feeding situation more closely than you do in winter when bears are
sleeping.