UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Connie Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:46:00 -0400
​A couple of mornings ago, the corner of my eye caught an unfamiliar bird
on the feeder - about the size of a White-breasted Nuthatch and with a
slightly down-curved beak but wrong color, longish tail; very nervous,
pecking at debris on the platform. Have never had a wren at the seed feeder
but bird guide indicated a Carolina Wren.

Later, hearing an unfamiliar, strong, musical song, I consulted the Cornell
Lab website and played several renditions of Carolina Wren song.
Immediately, the bird appeared at my bay window (opposite side of house
from feeder) flying back and forth from crabapple to forsythia, stopping to
perch on a ladder near the window for some excellent views of a beautiful
bird.  I stopped playing the tapes because I didn't want to upset him
further.  Then, he started scolding!  There may have been two of them.
They move wicked fast.

I know Bill Shepard has had them at his place down the road from here but I
haven't seen/heard a Carolina Wren since Corkscrew Swamp in Florida 40
years ago.   What a treat!

Connie Snyder