UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2016, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2016 09:09:41 -0400
Headed off to Hyannis area (Cape Cod) with son Will on Sunday last week to
re-do a porch deck.  Lots of work.

But always make time to bird in the am and pm.  I have a favorite barrier
beach along the coast that is quiet, little visited and with an extensive
salt marsh behind it.  Kind of my salvation from work and the busy-ness of
the cape.  I have birded here most of my life as my grandma lived nearby.

Highlights:   (so fun to see birds we do not usually see much of.)  Some of
these birds were seen multiple times/ days.  Some are nesting.

No. Gannet    1                   fly over  (a site first)

Dunlin  3               almost full BP

Bl. Bellied Plover     2        almost full BP

Ruddy Turnstone             10

Co. Loon              1         fly over

Least Terns         24  nesting   and hugely vocal, very fun.

Piping Plovers    4     these birds have nested here for years. Audubon
monitors them.  Found 1 w/ a yellow and a blue leg band, a first for me.

Gr. Yellowlegs   1    bit different than the Le Ye we had around here for
awhile.

Semi-palmated Sandpipers         many singles, few in bunches and a group of
60

Least Sandpipers              2

Willets   6   their usual noisy selves

American Oystercatchers             2  several times.  Quite impressive with
their red-orange bill and red eye.

Snowy Egrets     2

Great Egret         1

Dowitcher sp.     1                              I thought Short-b.

Spotted Sp.        1

Sanderlings         2              almost full BP

Lots of Pine Warblers.something about the Cape (and the pines)

Happy days

BiSh

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]:  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]:  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]