UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:02:33 -0500
Just wondering after my encounter with the N. Shrike today whether other
birds know to be afraid of Shrikes they way they are of most any raptor? I
know that the birds seemed very skittish today, but there had also been a
Sharpie visiting today. I don't remember hearing a lot of commotion from
the Jays when the Shrike was snapping the Junco's spine, and things
returned to normal fairly quickly, it seemed.  Do they "blend" more than
Raptors seem to be able to?

Lila