UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2007, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:27:33 EDT
Today, amid at least 200 juncos, a plethora of chickadees and a smattering
of song sparrows, red and white breasted nuthatches and gold finches at the
feeder there were some very agressive tree sparrows. One in particular would
stake out the feeder and when any other bird approached it puffed up, stood up
tall, opened it's beak, waggled it's head and made lunging motions. The  only
other time I've seen birds at quite this level of agression was  when I came
upon a mother grouse with young and she did the same opening of  her beak and
lunged at my shin.
The woodcocks have been peenting for at least a few days here even though
the ground is still covered in snow.
Mary Anderson, Bethel