UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:53:20 -0800
My wife and I saw a flock of 75-80 wild turkeys around 4 p.m. this afternoon foraging in a neighbors corn field.

A large number of crows (300+/-) has been seen regularly working fields on either side of the CT River over the last two weeks from Hanover/Norwich to Lyme/Thetford. Assume it is one flock that is being seen.

A juvenile loon that was reported on Post Pond the beginning of the week but has not been seen since Thursday. Abutters had phoned local wild bird rehabilitator Catherine Greenleaf with concerns that it was in trouble. She went out with a local birder whose high-powered scope gave a more clear picture of the bird's situation. She reported it seemed to be resting and said it later was observed fishing, something I saw it do on Wednesday. Consensus was that it was a migrant passing through.The pond has about 33% open water, Possible the bird is on the far side. Hopefully, it has re-energized and moved on.

Home feeders had 34 mourning doves on Thursday and Friday.

Blake Allison

Lyme, NH 03768-3322