UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:26:53 -0700
An a 10;30 a.m. call from a friend informing me that two bald eagleswere at Post Pond sent me into my car for a firsthand look. I only found one, and that was a brief look. Scanning the pond I saw a small flock of waterfowl on the far side opposite the boat ramp. Through a scope, I could see the flash of orange bills in the sunlight. Eventually the flock worked its way a little closer, and I made a positive ID counting 26 black scoters. That personal, Post Pond first more than made up for not seeing both eagles. The visit also produced sightings of three common loons (two likely the pond's resident pair, the third off by itself solo) and a single canada goose. Bonus? Three river otters appeared within five yards of my post at the boat ramp diving and swimming as they worked away from me along the shore.

Blake Allison

Lyme, NH 03768-3322