UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2017, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2017 22:22:16 -0400
Norwich Bird Week wraps up this weekend with a series of events
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6DIWL-39s2TOHZmeUpZSzZVbkk/view>, two of
which are morning field trips. Although the weather forecast is
deteriorating, our assumption now is that both trips will take place. Stay
tuned here and on the Norwich Bird Week Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/norwichbirdweek/ for updates.

On Saturday morning, we'll offer a trip along the Connecticut River. We'll
start at Foley Park, meeting at 8 am in the Ledyard Bridge park-and-ride.
Last Sunday, we had a very productive trip here, finding 46 species over a
2-hour leisurely walk. From there, for anyone with the time and
inclination, we'll head north to check Pompy flats and either Kendal
Station or Campbell Flats. The forecast looks like it will hold for
Saturday morning, with light southerly winds overnight and only a chance of
rain - potentially prime conditions for a migrant "fall out". I'm
optimistic that we'll have an excellent morning, as this week's persistent
northerly winds have kept many migrants dammed up to our south. The
floodgates are about to open!

Our second planned outing is a bird banding demonstration at Campbell Flats
from 8-10:30 am on Sunday. Banding is a proven avian research technique, in
which small birds are harmlessly captured in fine nylon nets, fitted with
uniquely-numbered leg bands, measured and weighed, their age and sex
determined, and released. It is a fantastic way for anyone to experience
the wonder of birds up close and to learn details of their biology and
natural history. Jason Hill and I will have several mist nets set up along
the river, and we'll gather at two picnic tables in the small clearing at
the southeast of the recently-plowed corn field. Participants will have the
chance to release any birds we band, with kids getting first priority.
There will be signs directing people where to park along Campbell Flats
Road. Carpooling is encouraged.

Here's the catch. Sunday's forecast calls for an 80% chance of rain. Rain
and bird banding are incompatible. If it is raining steadily, even if
lightly, we'll have to cancel, and that seems likely now. If it comes to
that, we'll reschedule for next Sunday 5/21, same time and place. We'll
make the final call by early afternoon on Saturday and announce it here and
on our Facebook page.

Parents are more than welcome to bring your kids to either or both of these
field trips. The pace will be unhurried, and the emphasis on ensuring that
everyone sees birds we encounter. Bring binoculars if you have them, warm
and waterproof outerwear (you can always leave it in your car), and
waterproof shoes or boots. We hope for a good turnout both days, and an
improved weather forecast!

Chris

Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x202
http://vtecostudies.org/

<http://vtecostudies.org/>

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]