UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2015, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mary Alexnderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Alexnderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 19:01:33 -0400
Barred owl number one left at just before 1 PM. By 2:30 there was an
owl in the tree that I thought was a bit different and assumed it
might be number ones female mate as it looked bigger. Number two (the
larger one) stayed until just now when it was attacked and killed by
another barred owl that flew it! They struggled on the ground a very
short while. Right now the one who flew in is sitting on the one it
killed. Yipes! Am I right in assuming these were NOT mates but
territorial fighting and a need for food? (I saw number one, the
attacker?, dive all morning and come up empty.
mary in bethel