UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2015, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mary Alexnderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Alexnderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:01:29 -0400
First, I appreciate all the comments. I thought it might be a mate for
the following reasons;
The one (now dead) owl was definitely larger than the other, so the
smaller owl prevailed. Otherwise a smaller juvenile won out over an
older owl?
Second, One bird was here all morning until almost 1PM. It left and
about an hour later number two arrived. I though perhaps they were
doing a nest exchange if eggs had been laid already.
Third, no more hooting at night, at least not last night. Don't know
if this means anything but thought if there was still one pair there
might be some back and forth hooting going on.

As for the end of the saga, here are some interesting (to me) details.
At the site of the kill there is very little sign of the tussling we
observed. (Owls rolling with one eventually on top). There is a poop
which I am fairly certain must be the poop of the deceased owl.
Heading downhill in the direction we saw the victor fly there are
periodic marks on the snow which appear to be drag marks. I never saw
the owl get more than a few feet off the ground. In fact it failed in
its first attempt to fly with its quarry. About 50 feet downhill in a
brush thicket is a pile of mostly downy feathers with a few longer
wing feathers, but nowhere near the quantity I would have assumed. I
found two extremely tiny bits of bloodied flesh. EVERYTHING else is
gone...no sign of head nor feet. And for what it is worth there were
chickadees surrounding the thicket where I found the remains and they
were making the oddest sounds I have ever heard from chickadees...very
guttural.

One other detail. The deceased owl had dove a few times into the snow
and come up empty. Soon after the death we saw a mouse emerge from
under the snow in a spot near where the owl had been diving and was
eventually killed. This rodent surfaced and scampered far away. It
seemed to know that it was now safe to move, emerge and escape.

Thanks again for the ideas. I think at this point guesses are all we
have so I appreciate all of them.

Mary