UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Pam Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 08:28:26 -0500
Greetings Upper Valley Birders,

This summer, NH Audubon will be launching a short-term project to assess the
current status of Olive-sided Flycatcher New Hampshire. This species has
been declining range-wide, but data for NH are limited because Olive-sided
Flycatcher habitat is often not in close proximity to the roadside Breeding
Bird Survey routes that we rely on for population trend data. To this end, I
will be coordinating an "Olive-sided Flycatcher Blitz" in the summer of 2014
(and maybe into 2015). More details on this will come out in the spring, but
as part of the project I am also mining eBird for recent reports of
Olive-sided Flycatchers in the state. If you have seen this species in NH
during the breeding season (roughly late May through early August) in the
last 10 years or so, it would be GREAT if you could enter any records into
eBird. The more recent data we get, the easier it will be to target areas
during the blitz this summer.

So if you have Olive-sided Flycatcher records for New Hampshire from 2005
onward, it would be much appreciated if they get entered into eBird. And
many thanks to those of you who have already entered such records. Hopefully
these data will help us determine how Olive-sided Flycatcher populations
have changed since the Breeding Bird Atlas in the early 1980s.

Pam

Pamela D. Hunt, Ph.D.

Avian Conservation Biologist

NH Audubon

84 Silk Farm Road

Concord, NH 03301

(603) 224-9909 x328

Help celebrate New Hampshire Audubon's Centennial: 1914-2014

http://www.nhaudubon.org/

"We have a hunger of the mind. We ask for all the knowledge around us and
the more we get, the more we desire."

   - Maria Mitchell, 19th Century American Astronomer