UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 22:36:41 -0400
I have never heard of that happening before, where one species of bird
helps another species raise nestlings?!  It seems like it would be a
horribly maladaptive thing to do, wasting all that energy instead of either
trying to re-nest or just relax for the rest of the summer to try again
next year. It seems so odd that it tried to build a nest out in the open in
the sun when I thought Chickadees were only cavity nesters, too. I wonder
if there is something seriously wrong with the poor little bird's brain.

Maybe it's not that unusual and I've just never heard of it before. (?)
Does anyone have any other examples of it happening that they know of? If
not, you should definitely get pictures, even if they're not fit to share!