UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2012 20:01:03 -0400
Toward mid day today Ed Hack had an excellent view of a Vesper Sparrow
in Royalton, VT. Spencer Hardy and I were alerted by Ed, and this
afternoon we visited the Royalton site where sparrows and other birds
were quite numerous. Although Spencer and I did not find the Vesper,
we were rewarded with views of 8 other species of sparrows and a
variety of other birds. While we were there, Ed Hack returned to join
us in searching. In addition to the birds listed below, we had
excellent views of a Mink searching along the northern shoreline of
the White River.

The Royalton site includes, in part, some acres of unharvested corn
with sizeable weedy patches both alongside and within the corn
plantings. The location, alongside the White River, surrounds the
junction of Gilman Road and Royalton Hill Road. This junction is on
the south side of White River across a green bridge from Route 14
which is on the opposite (northern) side of the river. The green
bridge is about a quarter mile south of the junction of Routes 107 and
14.

George Clark
Norwich, VT

Oct 8, 2012 2:50 PM - 5:03 PM
Traveling 0.4 mile
25 species

Canada Goose  220     Two flocks in flight. The larger flock contained
about 200 birds.
Hooded Merganser  5
Common Merganser  1
Turkey Vulture  21     In flight; appeared to be gathering near a roost
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  32     Birds were seen flying from the unharvested corn
fields.
Belted Kingfisher  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  19
Common Raven  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
Palm Warbler  2     Both eastern and western forms present.
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  11
Song Sparrow  20
Lincoln's Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  9
White-crowned Sparrow  18
Pine Siskin  60     One large flock plus scattered smaller groups.
American Goldfinch  2

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/
vt)