UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2015, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:47:01 -0400
We'd love to have you join us for the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National
Historical Park BioBlitz 2015 on July 11th.

Part scientific endeavor, part festival, and part education, the 2015
BioBlitz at Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park will bring
together leading scientists, naturalists, and community members of all ages
to find and document as many species as possible in one day at the park as
part of the Vermont Atlas of Life.

And we'll be tracking everthing we find on our live database at
http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/mbrnhp-bioblitz-2015. And of course all
of the data will be instantly shared with iNaturalist Vermont, a project of
the Vermont Atlas of LIfe (
http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/vermont-atlas-of-life).

Festivities for the public begin at 7am. Come at anytime. We'll be
headquartered at the Forest Center building near route 12.

Tentative Schedule of Events (we can add your work here too!)

Scheduled Events - All events start at the Forest Center (BioBlitz
 Headquarters)
• 7 - 9am Birds (meet at the Forest Center). The park is home to over 140
species. How many can we find in one day?
• 9 –11am Rock Walls (meet at the Forest Center). Explore old walls and
help document every living thing we find among these historic walls.
• 10-12pm – Streams (meet at the Forest Center). From salamanders to water
striders, the park’s waterways have a rich diversity of life. Help explore
these waterways to document the biodiversity of these clear mountain
streams.
• 12-1pm Lunch Bring your own lunch and join us at the Forest Center.
• 1 – 3pm Old Logs (meet at the Forest Center). Join us to discover what is
hidden within and beneath old logs on the forest floor. From fungi to
invertebrates or even a salamander, we’ll find and document them all.
• 1 – 4pm Mega-Transect (meet at the Forest Center). Join us as we walk
across the entire park documenting everything that is found – from trees to
bees and everything between. This will be a rigorous hike full of
discovery.
• 2 – 4pm Pogue Pond (meet at the Forest Center). Using nets, buckets and
our cameras, help document the life in the waters of this historic pond.
• 3 – 5pm Trees and Trunks (meet at the Forest Center). There’s a lot of
life living on a tree. We’ll explore and photo-document all of it. From
insects to lichens and more, how many species can we find living on a tree?

On-going Events at BioBlitz Headquarters at the Forest Center
• Summer Junior Ranger Adventure (ages 6-12) – Complete hands-on activities
that will help you learn and explore the diversity of the Park’s habitats
and creatures. Earn a Summer Junior Ranger Badge and certificate. For
participating in this special adventure, you will also receive a
BioBlitz Junior
Ranger prize!
• iNaturalist app and web site training and help.
• See amazing insects and other critters up close as experts work to
determine their identification.

Note: Schedule of events subject to change. Please check back before
BioBlitz day.

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055