ROUNDTABLE Archives

September 2015

ROUNDTABLE@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Christine M. Bothe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine M. Bothe
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:24:14 +0000
Dartmouth SYNERGY and Norris Cotton Cancer Center Present

Grantsmanship for Clinicians & Basic Researchers: Part I - The NIH & Institutes, Grant Types, and How to Find Funding

DATE: Monday, October 19, 2015
TIME: 5:30 - 7:00 PM
LOCATION: DHMC, Auditorium G
PRESENTER: Christopher Dant, PhD, Faculty, Norris Cotton Cancer Center and Dartmouth SYNERGY

DESCRIPTION: Finding the appropriate NIH program and grant mechanism for your research idea requires a lot of up-front preparation! However, when developing their first grant, many early-stage and new investigators make the critical mistake of writing before they first develop their research idea that can increase their chances of being funded. In this seminar, we discuss how to develop research ideas NIH institutes are seeking to fund. We show NIH RePorter search strategies that can determine what NIH has funded, what NIH Request for Application (RFAs) and Program Announcements (PAs) tell you, and how to find specific institute mission/funding priorities.  These strategies will prepare you to write a grant that targets research ideas that address specific NIH institute missions and priorities, which will increase your chances of being funded.

Grantsmanship for Clinicians & Basic Researchers: Part II -  Writing the R Grant Specific Aims and Research Strategy

DATE: Thursday, October 22, 2015
TIME: 5:30 - 7:00 PM
LOCATION: Auditorium E
PRESENTER: Christopher Dant, PhD, Faculty, Norris Cotton Cancer Center and Dartmouth SYNERGY

Writing a competitive and winning grant proposal requires that investigators produce a highly polished, cohesive grant that really knocks it out of the park for its significance, innovation, and approach while showing that it will have a major impact on their field. Many investigators, especially new investigators, don't know how to do this or understand what pitfalls to avoid. In this seminar, we will present a systematic approach for writing strong specific aims and research strategy. We will show some common mistakes investigators make in writing these critical sections that causes the grant to fail. We present advice on grant writing that is taken from the NIH as well as from faculty who have written successful grants and served as peer reviewers. This seminar is open to graduate students, postdocs, and basic/clinical researcher investigators.

NOTE: These 2 seminars are part of the R Grantsmanship seminar--while you may sign up for one or the other, you are encouraged to attend both seminars.

If you plan on attending, please respond to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Live webcast will be available at http://video.hitchcock.org/livetcs2