NISUS Archives

October 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
takamitsu Muraoka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2015 21:07:35 +0800
Dear Hamid,

Let me ask you another question.

The document I'm going to index is quite big: a total of about 8MB. Because
of its size, , when I worked on it, I have found it necessary and practical
to split it into five parts. To make an index of names of modern scholars
quoted, for instance, I would rather work on a single file, but when I try
to combine the five into a single file, the pagination gets disrupted, and
to revise it would be a very messy and tiresome manual work, for the text
has already been submitted to the publisher and its pagination has been
definitively set by the publisher, and my computer file has to work in line
with the publisher's. And apparently, because of the incompatibility in
their software and mine, they can't provide a file which I can process and
produce indices from under NWP. Is it possible to produce an index, say, of
modern authors for each of the five separately and subsequently to produce
a unified, single index of modern authors covering the entire document? Is
such an operation, if at all possible, equally messy and time-consuming? I
have already spent quite a bit of time to ensure that the pagination of my
file in five parts agrees with that of the publisher so that the first and
last word of every single page agrees with the publisher's print out.

Best wishes,

Takamitsu MURAOKA
村岡崇光