NISUS Archives

October 2015

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
takamitsu muraoka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:56:14 +0800
Dear friends,

May I ask you again to help me?

I want to make indices for a big (900 page) book. I have made a word-list, an alphabetical list of authors of Classical Greek, in the form of a table consisting of two columns: the first column contains authors' names and in the second column "auctorum/CG" as a classifying label in each row.
I select the entire text to be indexed, go to Tools > Index > Index using wordlist, and then open a list of text files, select "auctorum/CG", click "Anto index". Then appears a report: "A total of 12 entries have been marked for inclusion in the index."

1) I want to view the product in case the index requires correction. But where is it stored?

1a) I put the cursor at the end of the file and  did: Tools > Index> Insert Index. Then I get the name of the index followed by a long series of (page) numbers, but no Classical Greek author's name. Should I have put them in the second column?

2) A second related question is when I select the entire file, only the main body of the text is selected. Do I need to make a separate index for the footnotes? Then how can one combine the two and make a single index?

3) When you fill out cells of a table, is there an easy way of filling the same text in one column instead of inserting a text in the top row first, then selecting it, pasting it as often as the number of rows?

I would also like to see where the text(s) included in the index are. According to NWP Help they are supposed to be marked, but I don't see them marked.

Four or five years ago I knew how to make indices, but in the meantime I've forgotten.

Cheers,

Takamitsu Muraoka