NISUS Archives

February 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:04:54 +1100
At 6:22 AM -0500 22/2/12, Anne Cuneo wrote:
>I have to agree with Geoffrey, and disagree with you, Paolo and Andrus.
>True, THIS TIME the focus is on Apple. There is
>a reason. Tomorrow, people who can do something
>about this are meeting.
>I am going to write a terrible platitude here,
>but once conditions were ripe, it only needed
>ONE victim burning itself to death to wake up
>the whole Middle East.
>I am not going to list the people who,
>single-handed, changed the world after having
>been called absurd or mad, orŠ orŠ orŠ, and
>their actions useless.

Thanks for your support on this issue, Anne. Your
story of the Swiss company is heartening, Anne,
to say the least. Did you know that IKEA has
moved some of its furniture manufacturing to the
USA because factory working conditions there are
so appalling? Half the Swedish rate of pay, etc.,
etc.

According to Truthout, just the fact that the
Apple petition is happening around the world
through MoveOn (in Australia, GetUp), is having
an effect even before it is completed and
presented.

I just saw on the Truthout site:

"Apple's main supplier - and habitual human
rights abuser - FoxConn announced plans to give
their employees a pay raise (of 25%). The move
comes after more than a quarter-million people
signed a petition on MoveOn.org demanding that
Apple crack down on its suppliers who are
engaging in abusive labor practices.

"Recent reports out of Chinese-based FoxConn
describe a factory where workers toil for 14-hour
shifts, collecting abysmally low pay, and share
cramped dormitories with other workers.  Suicides
are so prevalent at the factory that nets were
installed to catch people who jumped off the roof.

"Apple is one of the largest and most powerful
corporations in the world -- achieving its
success through modern-day slave labor."

Cheers, geoff