FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bruce Herbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:16:09 -0500
Hi Lee,

A compromise solution may be possible if there is a single screen that
is used for most of the raw data entry,  as in someone sits on this one
screen and enters data for many records without having to go to other
layouts/screens.  Update this screen with a specific order for doing the
data entry and commit record/go to next new record.  Then leave the rest
of the application as is.

If there is no such screen,  then I would agree with you,  trying to
redesign the whole system is probably to difficult.

There is one other thing, when I did the research study,  the only GUI
systems in large use where Mac OS < X,  Windows 3.1 and
Unix/Linux/Solaris.  Most major data entry systems where green
screen/mainframe for things like insurance companies etc.  DOS was still
the main PC operating system without windows.  The point to this is that
now everyone uses GUI systems.  Not only on their computer,  but even on
their cell phone.  So trying to train a new employee to not reach for
the mouse may be a bit harder then it used to be.  This may be helpful
when you talk to your client.

All the best.
Bruce