FMPRO-L Archives

March 2010, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Steve Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:25:36 +0000
On Mar 14, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Angus Gilmour wrote:

> What I am a little concerned with, however, is why you are stuck in
> the dark
> ages with an obsolete version of filemaker when you want to use a more
> sophisticated method of hosting and sharing filemaker databases.
> Why not at
> least upgrade it to version 10 to take advantage of the many advanced
> features.

Angus

The upgrade from FMP6 (or FMS5) to FMP7+ is not trivial. Changes in
Filemaker were so great between those versions that, in the case of a
complicated solution, it is often more effective to start again (ie
rewrite the solution) than to convert. This might mean a huge amount
of work and cost.

A former client of mine is just now going through the process. They've
been at it for a year or more. Big job. But in the end it has to be
done because the hardware to run FMP6/FMS5 just won't be available.

Anyway, I imagine this is the reason why the original poster is keen
to find hardware that will run such an old version.

Steve