FMPRO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 2

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peter Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:37:19 +0900
Thanks very much to everyone who recommended SMTP-it Pro for Filemaker, it's awesome. I now have things running pretty well. Instead of a creating a pretty HTML email by making an HTML file, opening it in Safari then using the "send this webpage via mail" command (lame, I know), I create records that one of my machines sends out to customers directly.

One question, though. I want to give my customers visual feedback in the HTML mail that's about to go out to customers, which I do with a web viewer displaying a "data:text/html" and the calculation for the email. It works on Filemaker 9 and Filemaker 9 Advanced, but not on Filemaker 8.5, which most of my employees are using. On those systems, the same calculation shows garbage, though the script seems to work the same. Googling around, it looks like data:text/html display should work in Filemaker 8 and 8.5 (for example here http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/filemaker-9-tip9-web-viewers-without-the-web/) but I am not sure how to go about this? Is it a format change I need in my calculation for these versions of Filemaker? Currently it's like this:

data:text/html,<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> <head> <meta ... [and so on]

The client machines are Filemaker 8.5 and my two development machines are running Filemaker 9 Advanced. All computers are running Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. The web viewer shows perfectly in 10.6, but garbled text in he 8.5 machines.

Hope someone can help me get the display working!