CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ledyard Canoe Club <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ledyard Canoe Club <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2018 18:28:45 +0000
Trip to the Sea 2018

What is Trip to the Sea?
245 years ago, John Ledyard abandoned his studies at Dartmouth College, felled a tree, transformed it into a dugout canoe, and set off on the Connecticut River.

Since 1921, the Ledyard Canoe Club has recreated that trip to honor his spirit and sense of adventure.

We'll set out from Ledyard Dock on May 6th, paddle the 220 miles down the length of the Connecticut River, and finish where the river meets the Atlantic Ocean in the Long Island Sound. Various alumni groups will host us along the way. This is a trip of a lifetime and the perfect way to top off four beautiful years at Dartmouth. TTTS is typically viewed as a senior send-off, but depending on numbers, underclassmen may be eligible to join.

This trip is typically viewed as a senior send-off, but depending on numbers, underclassmen may be eligible to join.

When is Trip to the Sea?
The 2018 dates are Sunday, May 6th to Sunday, May 13th. This is the Sunday after Pigstick/Woodstock, and you return the week before Green Key. It should hopefully not conflict with any thesis presentations, but you will need to miss a week of classes. If you're only able to do part of the trip, you may elect to do half (May 6–9 or May 9–13).

This is far in the future, and spring term classes haven't even begun, but we need to get commitments from participants early. You will essentially plan your spring term classes and work around TTTS.

Who can go on Trip to the Sea?
Anyone in the Class of 2018! This trip is open to all seniors on campus. You don't need to have any prior involvement with Ledyard to come on TTTS. If you're not an '18, you may be eligible if depending on number of spots, but priority goes to seniors.

Do I need paddling experience?
No. However, we will be sleeping outside, paddling for long days, hiking our boats and gear around dams, and facing varying degrees of adverse weather conditions. You don't need to be a canoeist, but you do need to have a good attitude about the outdoors, work well with groups, and react to unanticipated issues in stride.

How much will this cost?
Exact cost to be determined, but no more than $170 a person. You must also purchase a Ledyard membership, if you don't already have one. DOC financial aid applies, which reduces the cost of the trip by 70%, 50%, or 30%, depending on need.

How do I apply to go?!
Fill out this application<https://goo.gl/forms/hY7n4eXmAH1Zr7EC2> by 11:59pm on Sunday, March 11th.

Feel free to reach out to [log in to unmask] with any questions. Hope to see you all on the water!