CAMPUS-EVENTS Archives

Campus Events

CAMPUS-EVENTS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
VDay Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
VDay Dartmouth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:56:16 +0000
Dear Members of the Dartmouth Community,

I urge anyone interested in being a responsible citizen of the Dartmouth community to attend Speak Out. Speak Out is an event in which anonymous and personal stories of violence are shared in front of an audience in Collis Commonground.

One of the difficulties in addressing violence at Dartmouth is that most of these incidents are inherently private and confidential. Speak Out is the one time in the entire year that sexual assault, intimate partner violence, harassment, or bullying is accessible to the public, for those who choose to support survivors and awaken themselves to a very real aspect of our community.

If you are a survivor, please consider submitting your story - below is the message from Rebekah Carrow, SAAP coordinator. We would love to hear your story and support your journey. Your stories will not leave Speak Out.

And everyone, please mark your calendars for this incredibly important event: Feb. 21, 6pm in Collis Commonground. Sexual assault is a dark aspect of campus life that must be addressed without delay, and your attendance will be an enormous step toward righting this critical moral problem. Regardless of your opinion on societal norms, Dartmouth culture, the Greek system, and other aspects of campus life, it is crucial to have knowledge of sexual assault based on real accounts. For us to progress, we need to be on the same page about reality.

This opportunity only comes once a year. It is worth it. Please bring your friends and others you respect. It has drastically changed my perspective as a Dartmouth student and citizen. I hope you consider attending Speak Out and continue to engage in conversation and action.

Best,
Hikaru Yamagishi '12
VDay Dartmouth

--------------------

Hello Dartmouth,

My name is Rebekah Carrow and I'm one of the two Sexual Abuse Awareness Program (SAAP) Coordinators on campus. The purpose of my email is to talk about an important upcoming event. As part of the V week celebrations, the SAAP office is hosting a Speak Out event for survivors of violence. It will be on February 21st in Collis Commonground starting at 6pm.

If you have survived sexual assault, intimate partner violence, harassment, or bullying, please consider submitting your story to the SAAP blitz account by February 10th Friday or you can email me directly at [log in to unmask] In order to provide hope to any survivors in the audience who chose to attend and support your journey, please also discuss how you're healing. Let me know if you're interested and I can provide some additional information about the format.

Also please know that you can reach out to me or my counterpart, Amanda Childress if you're looking for more support on these issues, either on your own behalf or have questions about how to support a friend.

Thank you to all those who are working through your individual processes toward healing, to all those who intervene, to all those who support friends and loved ones, and all those who speak and work publicly on this issue.

Rebekah Carrow, M.S.
Sexual Abuse Awareness Program (SAAP), Coordinator
Sexual Abuse Peer Advisors (SAPA), Advisor

*Dartmouth College *
Health Services-Health Promotion
7 Rope Ferry Rd.  HB#6143
Hanover, NH 03755