LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:20:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jean-Jacques d'Aquin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Carmen Zamanillo <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: Carmen Zamanillo <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: CMC and language learning - data for a dissertation
> >Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:47:54 +0100
>
> ------------------
> I am an MA student at Birkbeck College (London) and I am writing my
> dissertation about computer mediated communication and language learning. I
> would like to collect data from learners of Spanish or English using MOOs
> and e-mail to practise and learn the language. I want to examine how these
> channels affect learners' language, and whether there is any transfer of
> skills from written to oral fluency.

** You might be interested in looking at similar research done in Finland
by Seppo Tella.  One manuscript is titled "Introducing International
Communications Networks and Electronic mail into Foreign Language
Classrooms:  A case study in Finnish Senior Secondary Schools." A strong
example of qualitative methodology.  A good dissertation model!

I got the information: