FMPRO-L Archives

June 2010, Week 4

FMPRO-L@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jonathan Fletcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:30:04 -0400
Winfried's approach makes a lot of sense and I think I've just made the decision to employ it for all future projects, having just had to do a lot of replacing/matching imports on a client's system, and having struggled for years with imports that require a careful inclusion of the Set Next Serial Value. I'd say that Winfried's approach is just about perfect.

BTW, Ray Cologon has a universal key that includes capturing a variety of data, timestamps and MAC address among them, and converts it to a Base 36 hash so as to shorten it. I always thought it was overkill, but I'm starting to drift toward it these days.

BTW(2): If you use a script to duplicate records (capture the menu command with Custom Menus) you can set the new key with the same calculation as the auto-enter one.

j.

--
Jonathan Fletcher
FileMaker 9 & 10 Certified Developer

Fletcher Data Consulting
http://www.fletcherdata.com
502-509-7137

Kentuckiana's Only FileMaker Users Group: