LLTI Archives

April 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 05:05:15 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "GiseleEl Khoury" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: 31 Mar 2009 11:10:24 -0400
>From: "GiseleEl Khoury" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Position Announcement, St. Lawrence University

    Director of the Language Resource Center

    Duties and responsibilities

Duties and responsibilities of the Director of the Language Resource
Center include: collaborate with faculty in applying technology to
foreign language instruction (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian,
Japanese, Spanish, and Swahili); support language course curriculum;
teach the minimum of two and the maximum of four courses per year in one
of the languages offered at SLU; teach a pedagogy language course for
TAs in the use of the language technologies; assist faculty in the
development of educational materials; serve as a resource person for
foreign language faculty; research and recommend emergent technologies
or resources available in the academic and commercial marketplace;
provide or otherwise coordinate workshops and presentations in foreign
language pedagogy; administer the daily operations, budget, staff, and
multiple functions of the LRC; provide support for faculty and students
using technology in their course work; implement a training program for
LRC student staff; and maintain the LRC's multimedia resource collection.

The Director reports directly to the Chair of Modern Languages and
Literatures in coordinating the instruction of all the languages offered
at the ML&L department and less commonly taught languages, and in
developing multimedia and intercultural resources. The Director will
collaborate with faculty and administrative colleagues in seeking
outside funding for new initiatives. The Director also assists in the
preparation of the ML&L Department's annual capital funding request,
oversees the maintenance of the LRC and ML&L web sites; maintains the
LRC's adherence to copyright laws; stays current regarding latest
technology used in the teaching of foreign languages; conducts
orientation sessions for new ML&L faculty and language students; serves
on relevant campus-wide committees; and performs additional duties
required to successfully operate the LRC.

The Director works closely with Information Technology (IT) staff in
developing and implementing technologies for foreign language
instruction for both conventional and self-instructional methodologies,
determining specifications for and ensuring the reliable delivery of
technology services and support for both Windows and Macintosh. In
addition to supporting language instruction, the Director also acts as a
liaison for Modern Languages to IT, and thus plays a role in campus-wide
technology planning, implementations and support, and in technology
development programming. The Director collaborates closely with the IT
staff, participating in IT meetings or other activities when appropriate.

    Required qualifications

$E1 Master's degree in a foreign language, ESL, computer science, or other
relevant field;

$E1 Strong background in one or more of the languages taught at St.
Lawrence (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
and Swahili);

$E1 Broad background in academic technologies, including digital audio,
video and image editing; standard Office applications; and web 2.0
technologies;

$E1 Excellent verbal and written communication skills;

$E1 Experience in installing and maintaining computer and multimedia
equipment;

$E1 Experience in designing, building, and maintaining web sites;

$E1 Excellent leadership and teamwork skills;

$E1 Proven ability to manage and train student staff;

$E1 Ability to develop positive and productive working relationships,
including across divisions and with technical staff;

* Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and
manage multiple tasks while providing consistent and reliable results;

* Working knowledge of hardware and software associated with this position;

$E1 Demonstrated interest and initiative in remaining current in the
field, including technology knowledge and skills.

$E1 Demonstrated ability to review and evaluate systems of Computer
Assisted Language Learning.

    Preferred qualifications

$E1 A terminal degree in language acquisition, L2 pedagogy, a foreign
language, educational technology or a related field;

$E1 Experience in integrating educational technologies into the foreign
language curriculum and in supporting technology-based instruction in
higher education;

$E1 Minimum of two years related experience in providing faculty support
in language/culture instruction in a higher education setting;

$E1 Experience in designing and delivering high-quality technology
training workshops to adult learners;

$E1 Project management experience;

$E1 Budget management experience;

$E1 Familiarity with copyright laws as they pertain to electronic and
digital materials in a higher education setting.

Applicants should send a cover letter outlining their qualifications and
experience, a curriculum vitae, a statement on their vision of a
Language Learning Center at a small Liberal Arts College in the early
21st century, evidence of teaching quality, and -under separate cover-
three letters of recommendation. Please send all application materials
to Dr. Marina Llorente, Department of Modern Languages and Literatures,
St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617. Review of applications will
begin April 1, 2009 and continue until the position is filled.

We welcome applications from candidates who bring diverse cultural,
ethnic and national perspectives to their scholarship and teaching. For