LLTI Archives

April 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 05:04:58 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Cc: Mandy Lindgren <[log in to unmask]>, Jim Duber <[log in to unmask]>,
Norman Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: ANVILL--speech based course system
>Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:17:10 -0700

Dear Colleagues,

We've opened the doors on ANVILL, a "speech-centric" course authoring
system that we've been developing in collaboration with the Center for
Applied Second Language Studies and duber dot com.

http://anvill.uoregon.edu/
While there's still little documentation, there are webcasts and demo
courses which give you a sense of its overall use. If you've worked
with other open source content management systems (Moodle, Sakai,
etc.), creating web-based content with ANVILL should come easily.
(It's built with Drupal).

The speech tools are all Flash Media Server-based, so if you have used
CLEAR's Rich Internet Applications or Voicethread, or similar
streaming media-based tools, you should feel right at home. We supply
the servers and the space. Instructors can begin creating courses and
taking advantage of its tools as soon as they sign for an account.
They manage their own enrollments.

We want to get the word out about ANVILL. We're particularly
interested in working with K-12 teachers who may not have access to
"language labs". We're looking for 100 teachers to work with during
our two-year pilot period. In May we'll be doing a workshop on it at
IALL. (Please contact me off list with questions).

Regards,

Jeff Magoto
Director, Yamada Language Center

Teaching