LLTI Archives

February 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:38:58 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]> ---

Interpretation is rather easy to do with LangLab. An item of a lesson can have
not only a audio clip manipulated with the media-player-like buttons of the
module students use but also a button linked to a Web page or to any external
resource in file form: a video clip, a Powerpoint, an image file, etc. For a
simultaneous interpretation item, the link is to the original audio file that
the student must interpret; clicking the button brings up the default media
player and plays it. The student simply clicks on Record in LangLab, plays the
clip in the media player, and supplies the interpretation that becomes the
student's recording for the item. The instructor can retrieve the recording,
insert feedback anywhere, etc. For simultaneous translation, the stereo mixer
setting in the sound controls (if the sound card provides one) should be off;
otherwise the recording would contain both the original clip and the
interpretation. For Macs you don't have to worry, because you don't normally
have the stereo mixer functon, I believe; you'd need to install mixer software
to let you treat what the sound card is playing as microphone input.

It's sometimes useful to have students work up to true simultaneous
interpretation ( a very special skill, even with native fluency in two
languages) by preceding the exercise with a segmented version of the clip that
is the "internal" clip for a lesson item and that has recording pauses for
sequential translation, and then by a version of the clip that plays in the
media player as the external clip, but has short pauses for the student to think
briefly.

     Regards,

     Richard Laden
Dr. Richard A. Laden