LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:21:54 EDT
5  **************   from [log in to unmask]

Henry and Others,

You have started an interesting thread. Let me clarify some discussion

about Sanako software. Henry suggested that Sanako only used proprietary

formats; however, I have used Sanako products for many years now, and
their Labs, including the Sanako Media Assistant, are designed NOT to be

exclusive and proprietary systems alone.

In fact, the great thing about this Assistant is that it can handle all

major media file types including MP3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media), and .rm

(RealMedia), so you have a great deal of flexibility and ease in the type
of media files you author and play. Yes, users can author materials for

specific use with Sanako Labs, but it appears to me that the company's

goal is far reaching in that you have a great deal of flexibility.
Furthermore, one of the pedagogically-attractive features of the Sanako

Media Assistant is Variable Speed Control, thus allowing users to control

media playback.

I would sugggest visiting their site at www.sanako.com and join the forum
to ask questions from teachers who use their products.

Having developed multimedia for the Web for many years, I would at least

suggest people taking a careful look at any Lab system and contact people

who use them on a daily basis.

Randall Davis
www.esl-lab.com

______

Henry Wilmer wrote:

One of major differences is that Sony
produces files in standard formats (mp3, WAV) etc. while Sanako uses
some proprietary codecs.  It's possible to convert these to mp3's, but
it's a bit of a pain.

Henry Wilmer
Director, Language Learning Center
Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
978-749-4201

6  ************** from  [log in to unmask]

Our 2001 Tandberg system (i.e. Sanako) produces a choice of mp3s or .wav
(and also reads .rm though with reduced functionality). It also produces
proprietary files, .dim and .dis files, but these are not exactly
codecs. They are files which maintain a relationship between the
original master track and an added track, which could be audio or
textual or just a set of "bookmarks" locating particular points in the
master track (or it could be all three). So they have a separate
function, and actually get used a bit in the lab.

If a student has mistakenly saved a file in a proprietary format the
student audio track can be disembedded by opening it in Divace (now
renamed Media Assistant), recording a couple more seconds, and saving it
in the desired format.

As we are looking forward to upgrading, I sure hope that the new
software handles and saves in at least all the same formats....????

Judy

7  ****************  from  [log in to unmask]

Chris,

I have used Sanako systems for years as a teacher and lab coordinator, an
I have been very pleased with the results from a pedagogical standpoint.

Just keep in mind that whatever you choose, technology is not a method,

but only a support to achieving our objectives. Unfortunately, I have see
many computer labs around the world that have been relegated to souped-up

typerwriters because the vision of what computers can and cannot do wasn'
there.

For Sanako, I suggest you visit their forums to ask questions from
teachers who use their products (www.sanako.com).

Randall Davis
www.esl-lab.com

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.