LLTI Archives

September 2005, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:04:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Susan Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Language Lab Software (!)
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:14:37 -0400
>From: "Susan Breeyear" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Let me just say this about that...we've had CAN-8 for three years now, and
although it certainly has a lot of functions, I've never seen such a clunky
interface in my life.  We're looking for a new solution because our faculty,
with maybe three exceptions, has not been able to learn how to author in the
system.  We've given workshops, had CAN-8 people here to train, written
handbooks, given out the CAN-8 documents that are available...nothing seems to
work unless the instructor is highly motivated to use it--none of your "casual"
users will be able to remember from one time to the next.  The program is
unintuitive and bears a strong resemblance to the old DOS system.

Sorry to be so negative, but we've had nothing but headaches with this program.
I know there are other schools who have been more successful, but it's not for
us!

Cheers,
Sue the Grouch

Susan Breeyear