LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:22:34 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Audio Mixers
>Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:16:25 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Hi Folks,

We're getting ready to do some updates to the LRC this summer and I'm
wondering what the range of options for audio mixers are.  We currently
have two generations in the LRC at Swat:

The original custom boxes made by IMS and specified by Chester
Technical Services.  They weren't very robust and about half have
failed since they were installed in 1996, but they had some nice
features.  They were able to handle two headphone inputs and mix audio
from up to 4 sources (cassette decks, computer, VCR, DVD/Laserdisc
player and Satellite TV).  The other quirk/failing was that the
microphone in the headset would work with the cassette deck, but not
the computers.

The replacements we've installed are made by Robotel and have also been
installed by Chester.  The units we have handle two headphones and will
mix 2 audio sources.  These units have held up well and my
understanding is that they can be ordered with more inputs.  I was
quoted $300/ per unit on the 2 source mixers, so they're not cheap.

What we're looking for are mixers that will deal with:

- At least 4, but possible 5 inputs.
- Will handle at least two headphones
- Small enough to mount under the desktops

If manufacturers, I'd be grateful for the information.

- Mike

Michael Jones
Director,
Language Resource Center