LLTI Archives

January 2005, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:12:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from eric eubank <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:34:07 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: eric eubank <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7763 Mac OSX + SSH2

Hi,

If you need to manage permissions on a remote file server (esp.
recursively), I would think that ssh via Terminal is still the app
you are normally going to want to use on OSX.   It's also handy to at
least be able to use pico, vi, or emacs in a pinch, in order to do
things like edit remote config files (such as .htaccess files in web
directories).

If it's file transfer with which you're primarily concerned, there
are graphic clients on OSX that handle secure transfers.  If your
server supports sftp, scp, or ssh tunneling, a program called Fugu,
produced at the University of Michigan, provides Fetch-like
functionality.

My guess is that your servers probably support sftp (secure ftp).  In
sftp mode, Fugu has a graphic interface for dragging-dropping files
to remote servers.  It's easy to navigate to local files, via the
Finder or Fugu's local file system display.  Then drag files to the
remote pane, just like Fetch.

And as a bonus, in the "local" pane (local file display), Fugu allows
you to navigate to and peruse hidden files/directories in your local
OSX filesystem.  Useful for accessing normally hidden OSX UNIX
directories such as /usr/local or /etc -- and aforementioned, hidden
.htaccess files.

Also worth noting: BBEdit supports graphic sftp transfer within the program.

--
Eric Eubank <[log in to unmask]>
Liberal Arts Instructional Technology Services

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.