LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:18:22 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Herb Martin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Herb Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: RE: #7454 Recording MP3 sound
>Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:21:31 -0600

> Can anyone recommend a reliable, inexpensive, even free
> program for recording MP3 files of student speaking
> exercises?  Sound Recorder is nice in its limited way, but it
> only accepts a maximum of 60 seconds.

There is probably much "free" software but most
of the programs worth having (on Windows) cost
between $20 and $100.

If you have Nero CDROM Burning Software you already
own a really nice little recorder that I personally
use for "language work".  It can even record from the
PC output -- so you can capture from any program and
play it back, selecting a word of phrase at a time.

Acoustica is another nice one -- cheap but technically
not free, with a 30 day trial.

Downloads.com and SourceForge.net are good places to
look.

My request:
        I am still seeking inexpensive software, preferable
        with a free trial for matching the student response
        to an arbitrary target recording.
        (i.e., play a previously save item, record the student,
        compare the student to the source using wave form and
        other audio analysis.)

Most modern language software does the above, but only for
those items INCLUDED in the product -- not for arbitrary
sound files or sources.

Herb Martin, MCT, MCSD, MCSE
[log in to unmask] http://LearnQuick.Com
512 388 7339   -or-   1 800 MCSE PRO