LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:25:45 EST
from David Avery (the person who runs the Dartmouth listserv machine)

We have purchased and installed the F-Secure antivirus product and installed it
on the server managing listserv, replacing Symantec antivirus on that server.
Unlike the Symantec product formerly in use, F-Secure acts like the scanner on
mail hub.  It sits in the incoming mail stream, opens enclosures in mail
submitted to listserv, scans them for viruses, and if clean, reassembles the
enclosures and passes them on to listserv.    The Symantec product only did this
for a limited class of enclosure types;  the S-Secure products does it for
almost all types of enclosures.   This should provide better virus screening of
postings to [log in to unmask] which bypass screening on mailhub.

The virus scanner sends a warning to the poster containing an infected file.
This of course may cause concern if the virus is not on the poster's computer,
but instead is using his address as a fake origin.

Example log follows ...
18 Mar 2004 02:41:41 Processing file 493846 from [log in to unmask]
18 Mar 2004 02:41:42 >>> Error X'01100011' running virus scanner <<<
18 Mar 2004 02:41:42  -> Severity: Warning
18 Mar 2004 02:41:42  -> Facility: Virus detection system
18 Mar 2004 02:41:42  -> Abstract: Virus detected
18 Mar 2004 02:41:42 Virus found: I-Worm.NetSky.d
18 Mar 2004 02:41:42 -> Rejected:
* Your posting to the LLTI list  has been rejected because it contains the
* 'I-Worm.NetSky.d' virus in attachment 'my_details.pif'. You are strongly
* advised to check your computer for viruses as soon as possible!