UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2015, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 18:11:24 +0000
I've been awaiting the return of kestrels to Lyme for a week or so, checking their usual breeding haunts on an almost daily basis. Yesterday, I got separate reports of kestrel sightings on N. Thetford Rd. and E. Thetford, two locales where kestrels have been seen regularly over the past five years.
Spurred into action, I went out to check. The first bird sighted was not in a place I anticipated. It was seen on a utility wire just north of Parsons Farm on N. River Rd. I don't recall seeing one at that location in previous seasons. The second kestrel seen was indeed where expected. It was as seen on N. Thetford Rd., where kestrels have been observed in prior years, perched on a wire about 30 yards from a red barn that is a suspected nesting site. Twenty minutes on E. Thetford Rd. there was a pair of kestrels seen together on a utility wire that crosses a hay field. A colleague who lives in the area has in the past noted that kestrels nest in a tree cavity in the area.
Four kestrels would have been success enough for a two hour effort, but the hay field where I saw the first bird provided other raptor viewing opportunities. While I was watching the N. River Rd. kestrel, a sharp-shinned hawk flew over passing across the Connecticut into VT. A few moments later movement caught my eye, and I turned to see a northern harrier drifting and swooping its way along the hay field's edge. Later, passing the same field when finishing up my regular viewing route, I saw a red-tailed hawk alight in a tree. All in all, a very productive spot!
Blake AllisonLyme, NH 03768-3322