UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Spencer Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spencer Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:10:00 -0400
Today's morning of yard birding was relatively slow for warblers by Tucker Hill Rd. standards (only 5 species). I did pick up, however, an Olive-sided Flycatcher and a Mourning Warbler (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15032583).

Then, around 4pm, one of the best flocks I have seen here this fall came through the yard. The highlight was 2 Bay-breasted Warblers and my first Blackpoll of the fall. Together they offered a nice comparison of two notoriously difficult to separate species.

Also of note today was a young Field Sparrow, a species rarely seen on our property.

Highlights from this afternoon:

home, Windsor, US-VT
Aug 28, 2013 4:00 PM - 4:20 PM
Protocol: Area
1.0 ac
19 species

Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  3

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  3
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  1
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea)  2     Imm. female seen with BPLW for comparison. Classic drab fall BBWA-no bay sides but buffy undertail coverts and no streaking. Second bird maybe molting adult? Tail was very short and wide, appeared all dark. Overall with darker buffy coloration than first bird, didn't see any bay.
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca)  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  4
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  1
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15035350

Spencer Hardy,
Norwich, VT