UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 08:20:15 -0700
Hey everyone,

I had an unbelievable morning along upper Mink Brook today, truly fantastic. Definitely the best outing yet for me at Mink Brook this year, and the best migrant outing in general that I've had this year. Many FOS for me. Great to see some "high" numbers for some of the warblers, such as Common Yellowthroat, Ovenbird, and American Redstart, and I had an impressive (for me at least) 4 Least Flycatchers, the most I've ever seen in one place. Best bird though was a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER. This bird was not super cooperative and I wasn't able to get super close to it. This bird had a yellow-olive back with a [light] yellowish breast. It had no noticeable crest, like Least, but had a larger bill (evident when I was underneath it). Unfortunately the bird remained quiet (from what I could tell) the whole time I was there, but it did respond more behaviorally to the YBFL calls I played than those of other species. There was a Least Flycatcher nearby that the
 Yellow-bellied briefly had a fight with.

Below is the list of species I had today.

Cheers,
Kyle

Mink Brook Nature Preserve, Hanover, Grafton, US-NH
May 12, 2014 8:45 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.3
36 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard  1
Turkey Vulture  8
hawk sp.  2
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  1    yellowish belly with yellow olive back. good sized orange bill (larger than Least). Had no noticeable crest, like Least. Silent but responded more to YBFL calls
Least Flycatcher  4
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  3