UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2018, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 08:29:26 -0400
But on thing of note...I don't hear anyone saying chickadee numbers are
even close to their usual level...

And for what it is worth i have heard that redpolls were extrememly
abundant in Michagan this year...

On 04/16/2018 08:26 AM, Harold M. Swartz wrote:

> As has been widely reported by others, we also are seeing
> mind-boggling numbers of birds with more then 300 juncos and 150
> goldfinch and lots of other species as well. As we wonder at this
> phenomenon and ponder its meaning, it may be worth reflecting on the
> common observations earlier this season about the paucity of birds and
> the resulting speculation about the implications of those observations
> of scarcity of birds.
>
> Perhaps one logical conclusion is that while we should continue to
> enjoy watching and counting birds and even speculating about why the
> numbers vary, we should keep in mind that there are a lot of different
> factors at play and it seems unlikely that based on only on the
> observations at our feeders that we can draw valid conclusions on the
> reason for our observations. To understand why the numbers  are
> varying requires a lot of additional  information, and while our
> observations may be a helpful part of the story, they probably are not
> sufficient to draw valid conclusions.
>
> Hal & Ann
>
> 278 River Road
>
> Lyme
>
> To post messages, send e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Set your e-mail application
> to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages. To contact the list owner:
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> To unsubscribe:
> E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders To
> change your e-mail address: E-mail this command from your old address
> to: [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail
> address]
>
> Web based archives and subscription management are available at:
> http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/Archives/uv-birders.html

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]