UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:23:48 -0400
Greetings all,

This morning Roz Renfrew and I got a guided tour of the interior of the
Lebanon Airport for the purposes of the Upper Valley Grassland Bird Project.
We surveyed 11 points along both runways, and turned up - conservatively -
27 Savannah Sparrows, 7 Eastern Meadowlarks (including a probable family
group), and 5 Bobolinks. The latter were something of a surprise, but the
airport manager informed us that the weather has precluded much of their
usual intensive mowing regime this summer, which had resulted in some pretty
tall grass in many areas. We thus have hope that at least some birds here
(e.g., the meadowlarks) may have had a chance to fledge some young. It's
also great to see so many meadowlarks in at least ONE spot in the Upper
Valley, since I don't think too many have turned up on other surveys farther
north. If anyone wants a meadowlark fix for the U.V., the birds were
concentrated at the northwest corner, and so should be detectable (at least
by song) from the parking lot near the control tower at the end of Airport
Road.

Stay dry....
Pam Hunt
Concord, NH