UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2012 11:53:48 -0700
Hey everyone,

This morning I went back to Mink Brook wetlands area this morning. I did not have as many birds as I have in the past couple days, especially in terms of waterfowl. But nonetheless it was a great time. I enjoyed seeing the Blue-headed Vireo and Red-breasted Nuthatch. Then I stumbled on a small flock of White-throated Sparrows on the side of the trail near the water's edge. It was here that I heard a White-crowned Sparrow singing. I was able to get a quick look at an adult, and after some more searching, I found a first winter bird too.

Then I went over to the Mink Brook preserve at the end of Brook Rd. I had entered the forested part of the preserve and was reading about the black bears there when I flushed a Ruffed Grouse not too far from me. A lifer for me, I was only able to get fleeting glances at this elusive bird. I spent the next 20 or so minutes trying to refind it but to no avail. Then, when I was making my way back to the road, I stumbled on a small flock of thrushes foraging on the side of the trail. There were several Hermit Thrushes, as well as a Swainson's and a Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush. I am guessing the latter was a Gray-cheeked, but since I didn't get a definitive look to rule out Bicknell's I have labeled it as one or the other. But the best bird was a VEERY that was feeding with the flock. I got pretty good but brief looks at this bird before it disappeared; a rufousy bird with rufousy speckles on the breast.

All in all, a great morning for birding! Below are my lists for the two places I went to.

Kyle Kittelberger
Dartmouth

Mink Brook wetlands area, Hanover, Grafton, US-NH
Oct 7, 2012 10:20 AM - 11:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
20 species

Wood Duck  7
Mallard  9
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  4
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
White-throated Sparrow  6
White-crowned Sparrow  2    1 adult and first winter bird, singing first

Mink Brook Nature Preserve, Hanover, Grafton, US-NH
Oct 7, 2012 11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
6 species (+1 other taxa)

Ruffed Grouse 1     bird flushed and very, very briefly seen. LIFER
Veery  1 1 bird briefly seen foraging with the other thrushes. Pretty rufousy overall, with rufous speckles on the breast (the field mark that was the deciding factor for me). Unfortunately no pictures were taken as the bird soon flew off into the vegetation
Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush  1
Swainson's Thrush  1
Hermit Thrush  3
American Robin  6