UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2014 17:53:13 -0700
Hey everyone,

Another day, more migrants! I had a terrific afternoon/evening checking out Quinn Trail and Balch Hill. I ended up with 17 warbler species total, as well as some other good birds.
I first stopped at Quinn Trail which is definitely one of my favorite spots around here. A short but extremely productive trail. I refound the Canada Warbler that Jim Block reported earlier; it was foraging towards the end of the trail, on the right in the woods. Gorgeous adult!! Other highlights included Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Northern Waterthrush, Magnolia Warbler, and Wilson's Warbler.
Afterwards I checked out Balch Hill. For the most part it was pretty quiet, though I heard a Scarlet Tanager chick-breeing in the woods. I went to one of my "hotspots" at Balch Hill, where I flushed a turkey. Sat there for a while and after not seeing or hearing much (except for some aggressive Black-throated Greens) I decided to turn around. But as I was leaving that spot I noticed that there was a flurry of movement in the forest edge- a small mixed flock!! Highlights included Red-eyed Vireo, Tennessee Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Blue, and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak pair.

Below are my highlights/migrants for Quinn Trail and Balch Hill.

Cheers,
Kyle

Quinn Trail:
Ruby-throated Hummingbird- 1 FOS