UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2015, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Kittelberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2015 01:02:22 +0000
Hey everyone,
I had some free time to kill this morning, and with the rain on pause, I checked Mink Brook to see if there had been any new arrivals. The highlight for sure was a gorgeous male MOURNING WARBLER that was foraging silently on the edge of the wetland off of Quinn Trail. I was hoping to get a pic but it dropped back into the reeds and did not come back out into the open. Looking at eBird, this is only the 2nd report for Mourning Warbler this spring so far in the Upper Valley- sweet!
Otherwise, mostly the usual suspects at Mink Brook- 13 species of warbler, calling Baltimore Oriole, couple Pine Siskins, a Veery, and a singing Red-eyed Vireo. Yesterday I checked Mink Brook after Balch Hill (which was fairly slow) and the highlight was a singing SWAINSON'S THRUSH. Yesteday morning and today were not that active; maybe tomorrow morning will be different.
On an interesting note, I set up a spreadsheet looking at the first arrival FOR ME of many migrant songbirds in the Upper Valley, comparing this year with last year. What I'm finding interestingly is that many species arrived (or at least I observed them) a week earlier this year.
Cheers,Kyle KittelbergerDartmouth College